India Global Higher Education Alliance
The College Board formed the India Global Higher Education Alliance (“India Global Alliance”) to provide a platform for innovative Indian universities to engage with the world’s most prominent universities to drive access and excellence in undergraduate preparation, recruitment, admission, and enrollment practices. Through peer institution collaboration, the India Global Alliance seeks to simplify the application process among its members, as well promote global benchmarks and standards to in turn diversify India's campuses.
The India Global Alliance has three goals at its core:
- Building a community of innovative secondary and higher education leaders who will work to improve the transition to higher education in India
- Establishing a forum for sharing of global best practices to learn what’s working in admissions around the world
- Taking concrete actions to ensure that all students, regardless of income, geography or class, can access excellent higher education
The India Global Alliance:
- Convenes universities in India with prominent universities globally to foster collaboration and sharing of best practices to advance access and excellence in higher education.
- Provides member institutions with tools to reach diverse sets of students in India and across the globe.
- Assesses students against a global benchmark, the SAT.
- Provides professional development on global best practices in recruitment, admission, and enrollment that can be adapted for the Indian context.
- Connects secondary and tertiary education in India through College Board programs such as the SAT and Advanced Placement®.
- Gives students, schools, and educators access to data and resources that focus on educational growth and improvement.
- Brings together a community of dedicated educators working to deliver opportunity to students around the globe.
If you represent, or would like to recommend, another institution that wishes to join the Alliance, contact us with questions or your nomination. Please note that the Founding Members are currently refining membership criteria.
Unparalleled Support to Students and Secondary Schools
Through the India Global Alliance, students will:
- Know what to expect on a common entrance exams—the SAT with clear guidance on test content and specifications.
- Get more opportunities to put their best foot forward: One test for multiple universities in India and across the world, multiple test administrations, and the chance to showcase their knowledge and skills.
- Find test centers in more than 40 cities in India and more than 186 countries and territories around the world.
- Use free test practice: Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy®, a world-class alternative to expensive “coaching” that’s inclusive, high quality, and personalized.
- Pay a reduced price to take the SAT if they qualify.
- Be recognized for their academic achievements through the new College Board India Scholars Program. Students with financial need may also be eligible to receive scholarships to Alliance universities through this program.
- Build key skills in problem solving and critical thinking to help drive India’s emerging knowledge economy.
Secondary schools and educators will benefit from:
- Common understanding of the skills students need to be successful on a common entrance exam—the SAT and ready for university study.
- A powerful set of reports with progressive, vertically aligned assessments that give detailed insight on students’ strengths and weaknesses to inform instruction and measure readiness for university.
- Flexibility of a test accepted by universities in India and around the world.
College Board India Scholars Program
The Alliance is pleased to announce that the College Board Scholars Program will provide SAT fee reductions and partner with Indian Alliance members to co-fund scholarships for low-income students. College Board India Scholars Program will recognize academically talented students in India, creating pathways into higher education for talented low-income students who otherwise would not be able to afford a high-quality undergraduate education.
There are three simple steps for students in India to qualify as a College Board India Scholar:
Step 1: Take the SAT
To be considered as a College Board India Scholar, students simply need to take the SAT in grade 12. For the inaugural year, the October, December, and March exam scores will be used as qualifying exams for the Merit cum Means based scholarships. All SAT administrations will count as qualifying exams for subsequent years.
To ensure low-income students are able to sit for the SAT, the College Board has engaged Buddy4Study, India’s largest scholarship platform to distribute SAT fee reductions to low-income students across India. The reductions for year one of the program will bring the test fees to INR 0 for students from families with annual household income less than ₹6,00,000. To apply for a fee reduction, students should visit this website.
Step 2: Earn “Top Performer” Status
All students in India who achieve above a score of 1350 (out of 1600) on the SAT will be designated as College Board India Top Performers every April. Top Performers will receive a communication via the email address provided during registration with further instructions on how to apply for the scholarship.
Step 3: Low-income “Top Performers” apply to a participating member university of the India Global Higher Education Alliance
Top Performers from households that earn less than INR4,00,000 per year may then apply to be College Board India Scholars and earn full tuition scholarships to participating Alliance member universities in India.
Selection of final recipients will be made by Alliance members by July of each year. The scholarships are only open to residents of India. The student must be offered admission to the university, have demonstrated the financial need, and ultimately enroll in an Alliance member university.
One of the hallmarks of the India Global Alliance is convening members and important voices from the secondary and university communities in India and around the world to drive concrete change. Currently the alliance meets twice a year:
Each May, the alliance will hold a symposium to bring together the best voices in secondary and higher education to address the changing landscape of admission in India and around the world.
Here is a recap of our inaugural event on May 21–22 in Delhi.
Each October, the alliance will hold a forum to not only stimulate continuing dialogue leading to action but also provide professional learning for participants around general university enrollment and admission themes and trends.
The next India Global Higher Education Alliance Forum is scheduled to be held on October 9 in Mumbai.
The India Global Alliance Forum will bring together a group of institutions and education leaders to:
- Participate in thought-provoking sessions about access, inclusion, and excellence in college admission
- Get updates on trends and best practices in admission, college and career planning, and student advising
- Network with leaders representing top global universities
Date: October 9, 2018
Time: 9 a.m.–6 p.m.
Location: Grand Hyatt Mumbai, India
About the SAT
The tests in the SAT Suite of Assessments—the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT®, PSAT 10, and PSAT 8/9—make it easier to help students navigate a path from secondary school through higher education and career. The SAT is one of the world’s most widely researched and rigorously developed undergraduate entrance examinations. Extensive research has repeatedly proven its validity as a fair predictor of readiness and success in higher education. All India Global Alliance members will accept SAT as an entrance exam to evaluate a student’s candidacy for admission. This is applicable for students applying from within in India and abroad.
About the Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy®
Khan Academy, in partnership with The College Board, offers free practice for the SAT on mobile devices and on a computer. Students who register even receive personalized practice questions to make sure they are prepared. This world-class resource allows ALL students to practice for the SAT without the heavy burden of additional cost.