The College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Program is internationally recognized and offered worldwide. The program consists of college-level courses that high schools authorized by AP can choose to offer, as well as corresponding exams that are administered once a year—including in China.
The 2021 AP Exams will be administered over two weeks:
- Regular testing windows: May 3 – 7 and May 10-14.
- Late- testing window: May 18 – 21.
Taking AP Exams in China
To meet the needs of AP students in China, there are two types of testing locations:
- International test centers are international schools authorized to give AP Exams to their own students, who are generally citizens of countries other than China. Typically, these schools don’t administer exams to students who aren’t enrolled in their school. NOTE: Students at these schools who wish to take AP Exams at international test centers in China must register with their school’s AP coordinator to sit for an AP Exam.
- Local test centers serve students who are enrolled in local public or private Chinese schools authorized to offer the AP Program. They administer AP Exams to students from multiple schools. For the 2020-21 school year, College Board will partner with Prometric to manage overall exam registration and administration for local test centers. Students must register in fall 2020 for the May 2021 AP Exams. Instructions will be sent directly to the school’s AP coordinators. Students may also visit https://www.prometric.com.cn/apchina.
AP Exam Eligibility for Students Testing at Local Test Centers:
- Must be affiliated with an AP school that has a CEEB (College Board) school code. NOTE: Self-study codes by province will no longer be used for AP Exams in China.
- Must have either a Chinese National ID (for citizens of China) or a valid passport (for citizens of countries other than China) with a valid visa to China.
- Can’t take an AP Exam in a given subject more than once in the same year.
- Can’t take both AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC in the same year.
- Can take any or all of the 4 Physics exams in the same year.
- Must be born after May 31, 2000. Students should be aware that every school and local test center has its own internal exam registration period. If you think you’ll need to test in China in May 2021, contact the school’s AP coordinators as early as possible in September and October. For further information, go to https://www.prometric.com.cn/apchina.
Moving to China
If you’re a student who plans to enroll at a high school in China during the 2020-21 school year, you can use the AP Course Ledger to find schools that offer AP courses. Once enrolled, you’ll work with your school’s AP coordinator to arrange your exams.